Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Hungry Lady Travels: Hangout Music Fest, Gulf Shores, Alabama

I may have mentioned this once or twice, but in case you missed it, way back in the middle of May, I road tripped down to the Gulf Coast for the Hangout Music Fest in Gulf Shores, Alabama.  You may remember that I did the same thing last year, which you can read about here and here.


This year was much the same. The festival lineup was a lot different from the previous year, but not in a bad way.  Actually, there were fewer bands on my absolute must see list, so I was able to enjoy the beach a little more, cool down (read: eat and consume a few adult beverages) back at the condo throughout the day, sample the food, and not have to run from one set to the other, thus missing bands I wanted to see.


L & I hit the road bright and early on a Wednesday morning, arriving in Gulf Shores in the late afternoon.  We did all of the necessary things - checking in, buying food, stocking the beer fridge - made a pizza, and settled in with a few beers on the balcony.


The beer fridge.  It was empty by the end of the week. 
Note: While L & I did put a rather large dent in this beer, there were 6 other people who helped us with it.  And there was actual food that went into the fridge too.


We spent Thursday on the beach and on the balcony, before heading out to the Hangout Pre-Party where we got to see Delta Rae, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, and Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and eat a street gyro.  As you should know by now, gyros that you can get from a street cart are one of my favorite things ever.  This one was awesome.  L & I sat on a curb, people watched, and tried not to get too messy while stuffing our faces.


Nothing like a cold beer to wash down a delicious gyro.
Fun times, good music.  Made some friends, one of whom tried to teach us how to Texas Two-Step.  Things you should know about me: I don't dance.  I'm a horrible dancer (which doesn't usually stop me), but I seriously uncoordinated, so learning steps to a dance is a little beyond me.  At any rate, I'm sure it was entertaining to watch.  By the time the music ended, and we had gone for a quick night swim, our friends from New Orleans had arrived.  They brought more beer (surprise), and a 5 gallon bucket of homemade jambalaya.  YES.  That baby kept our entire house fed for four days.  It was delicious.  Many, many thanks to E & G for making and bringing it with them.


Friday, Saturday, and Sunday passed in much the same fashion - wake up, drink mimosas on the balcony, head to the festival grounds, sit / rage in the sand (highlights for me were Alabama Shakes, Wilco, Jack White, The Devil Makes Three, Gogol Bordello, Flogging Molly, The Lumineers, Mavis Staples, and Steve Winwood), run back to the condo for food, rinse & repeat.  Sunday was a little busier band-wise, so L & I grabbed some awesome tacos at one of the food stands, and ate and napped in the sand to the sounds of Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.


Sunday night was the big event for us.  For most of the festival goers, it was the chance to see the Dave Matthews Band play a headlining set.  As someone with an intense aversion to DMB, I wasn't sure what I would do with myself.  So L & I headed back to the condo, where we were able to sit on the balcony and hear DMB's instrumental parts without having to listen to Dave's whiny voice.  Right on.  And then, it was time for our farewell dinner at The Steamer....


Part Two coming soon.  Until then, enjoy some pictures from the Hangout....


Not zoomed in - 2nd row for The Devil Makes Three


Flogging Molly - also not zoomed in.


The gospel according to Mavis.


THE WINWOOD (!)


Sunday morning with The Lumineers (also not zoomed in).

1 comment:

  1. Ha that looks delicious! I wish I could have gone to see Dave Matthews Band:( Hopefully I'll see them soon though after the new album comes out..I'd really love to see them perform Mercy..Have you heard that one yet??

    Here's the video: http://bit.ly/Qmjx9p

    ReplyDelete