Monday, June 27, 2011

The Hungry Lady: Hilton Head Island Edition

About a week ago, some family friends were in Hilton Head for a few days, so I made the drive down from Columbia to hang out for the day. It was nice to see everyone, and we had a great day just wandering around and lounging by the pool.  And eating, of course.  So huge thanks to P, M, & C for their insights about our meals.


For lunch we decided to be super touristy, and head to Sea Pines to try out The Quarterdeck and then browse the touristy shops.  We were all pretty hungry, so we didn't take too much time with the menu.  M & C, who are 10 and 9, respectively, took one look at the kid's menu and both decided on chicken fingers with fries.  And Oreos.  Both girls enjoyed them, though C wasn't a huge fan of the BBQ dipping sauce.  M liked the way that the chicken fingers were breaded.  Both M & C were particularly happy that their meals came with Oreos for dessert.  M decided to save hers for later, and she put them in my purse.  I was sorely tempted to keep them for myself.  How do you go wrong with Oreos?
Everything came in metal baskets.  Which was great, except that there wasn't a place to put the ketchup for the fries.
P decided that she was going to go with the Quarterdeck burger.  Really just your basic burger with lettuce, tomato, and red onions with chips and a pickle on the side.    This was quite the burger.  It was huge.  And needed to be cut in half in order to be eaten.  It certainly looked juicy, and I know P enjoyed it.


Look at the cheese oozing out.  I LOVE that in a burger.
I ended up with the Blackened Fish of the Day Wrap.  The fish that day happened to be Mahi Mahi.  I have a rule against ordering something other than seafood when I'm on the coast, unless I'm really craving it.  But I feel that if I'm going to be that close to the water, I had better order something that came out of it.    The wrap had black bean & corn salsa, queso fresco, and chipotle sour cream.  It was served with warm tortilla chips and salsa.  I was pretty happy with what I ordered.  I really like getting tortilla chips instead of regular chips or fries.  And I love blackened fish.  There really wasn't any way this could be bad.
It was stuffed too.  This wrap was awesome.
Overall, we had a pretty good experience.  We sat outside, despite the initial protests of the kids who, being from the northeast, weren't really into the heat and humidity of SC  (and yes, I know it gets humid in the northeast, but it is NOTHING compared to the southeast.  Just trust me on that, as I've lived and dealt with it in both places).  It was nice, as there were plenty of ceiling fans under the roof and there was a slight breeze coming off of the water.  The food was good and the company was fabulous.  But here's the thing.  If beach towns had their own special food chain restaurants, they would probably model them after The Quarterdeck. It was good, and I enjoyed myself, but it was hardly the best meal I've ever had.  I'd go back, but maybe for late night dining so that I could sit on the upper level and look out over the island.

Final Rating:

You can find the Quarterdeck on the web




Quarterdeck on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hello!!

    I just found your blog through urbanspoon while I was uploading some of my blog reviews :)

    I use to live in Cola, but we recently moved to the Charleston area! So glad to connect w/ more local bloggers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! I'm glad you like it. I'll have to make sure to check out your blog too....from what I've skimmed it looks pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete